Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> patch < gerds.patch
>
> I get:
>
>> Waider (klortho.waider.ie) $ > patch < ~/tmp/bbdb/bbdb-print-patch
>> can't find file to patch at input line 5
>> Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
>
> [...] Actually, from reading the manual page I get the
> impression that the problem is that you have lisp/bbdb.el as both the
> 'before' and 'after' files, which I think causes patch to disregard
> the common path...

I did 'cvs diff lisp/bbdb.el' one directory above the lisp directory.
It would have worked, if patch would be called from the same
directory, or if patch was called inside the lisp directory like
'patch -p1 < patchfile', so the 'lisp/' part would be removed.  (The
-pNUM strips the smallest prefix containing NUM leading slashes from
each file name found in the patch file.)

Of course, the best would be, I call diff inside the lisp directory.
Sorry for the confusion.

Gerd