AL> I have inconsistencies in ordering of records in my BBDB buffer
AL> (which also translates into the same order inconsistencies when I
AL> use bbdb-print).

AL> Short of sending my entire .bbdb file, I'll give an excerpt (with
AL> contact details changed).  In my BBDB buffer I have:

    I notice you use SyncBBDB.  That lousy piece of junk is at fault :)

    The problem is that record sorting in BBDB is configurable so when
SyncBBDB creates a new record (or changes an existing one) it doesn't
know where it should add (or move) records so it always just sticks
them on the end of the .bbdb file (I suppose it could make 99.999% of
the population happy by just lexically sorting on names, but it
doesn't).

    My guess is that a bbdb-resort-database will fix it.
Unfortunately this is an undocumented, non-interactive function.  I
have used successfully it to resort my database occasionally but I
really don't know what the potential pitfalls of this function are.

    Does anyone know why this couldn't be made a little more public,
or any reason not to use it regularly given brain dead software that
sticks things in the BBDB where they don't belong?