AL> I have inconsistencies in ordering of records in my BBDB buffer
AL> (which also translates into the same order inconsistencies when I
AL> use bbdb-print).

TD>     I notice you use SyncBBDB.  That lousy piece of junk is at
TD> fault :)

Thomas,

Yep, actually I kinda figured that out by a process of elimination
that it was probably the Palm synching that was causing the problem.
;-) I noticed that all the records that were out of lexical sort order
*started* with an entry that was originally entered on the Palm
(i.e. by having it "beamed" or entered manually).  Then I twigged that
SyncBBDB doesn't interact via bbdb (which would correctly insert it),
but probably just appends it to the end of the file.

TD>     The problem is that record sorting in BBDB is configurable so
TD> when SyncBBDB creates a new record (or changes an existing one) it
TD> doesn't know where it should add (or move) records so it always
TD> just sticks them on the end of the .bbdb file (I suppose it could
TD> make 99.999% of the population happy by just lexically sorting on
TD> names, but it doesn't).

Thanks for the info, it's nice to have my intuition confirmed. ;-)

Lexically sorting the inserted entry from the Palm into .bbdb would be
nice.  I wrote a little Python script that reordered the .bbdb file,
but it would be better if it was built in.

TD>     My guess is that a bbdb-resort-database will fix it.
TD> Unfortunately this is an undocumented, non-interactive function.
TD> I have used successfully it to resort my database occasionally but
TD> I really don't know what the potential pitfalls of this function
TD> are.

I didn't know about this function (not suprising being non-interactive
and undocumented), maybe waider could tell us whether it would be safe
to use and/or about the potential pitfalls of the function.
TD>     Does anyone know why this couldn't be made a little more
TD> public, or any reason not to use it regularly given brain dead
TD> software that sticks things in the BBDB where they don't belong?

RW> One of the things in my pile of BBDB hacks and tools is some
RW> contributed code for 2.00.06 that does all manner of interactive
RW> sorting. It should probably be integrated at some point.

It would be nice to use `bbdb-resort-database' from time to time until
such time as the code waider mentioned for 2.00.06, above, for more
customised sorting, is integrated.  Any immediate gotchas with using
it?

Alex