On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Kai Großjohann stipulated:
>           Note that different patch installations seem to use
> different default values for "-p".  So on some installations, "patch
> < foo" is the same as "patch -p0 < foo", whereas on others, it's
> "patch -p1 < foo".  Strange.  So maybe you just want to always supply
> the "-p" argument...

GNU patch follows POSIX in that (quoting from SuSv2)

: If -p is not specified, only the basename (the final pathname component)
: is used.

So if you don't specify -p{something}, all the patches get applied to
files of that name in the current directory, which probably don't exist,
and if they do, are probably the wrong file. This strikes me as a quite
useless and completely annoying default --- even more so if the patch
affects more than one file. :(

--
`Many people have tried whispering in his ear, and indeed bellowing
 with megaphones but up to now he's seemed to be completely