Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On December 5, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> Except that it is not always a choice between just "Foo Bar" and
>> "foo@baz", there could also be a "foo@yahoo" associated with the same
>> record.  I think current implementation chooses randomly among the
>> three when completing "foo"
>
> No, it should choose the first one in the list of nets, unless the
> email address you'd started typing matches one of the other
> addresses more closely.

Yes, that is actually my preferred behavior.  The fact that bbdb
randomly chooses between the 1st and 2nd net address is what I think
is the bug.

> I'm keeping the existing behaviour for now; there's a suggestion in
> the queue for some customisable behaviour for expansion, but I'm
> trying to fix bugs at the moment rather than add features. As such,
> you may deem your bug report to have been filed under "feature
> request" as opposed to "bug report".

Do you agree that when a record has two net addresses "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" that bbdb will complete on one or the other randomly if
you're completing on a common prefix?  That is what I am seeing.

I think it should either complete on both or just the first, not a
random choice among the two.

The docs for bbdb-completion-type say that it is configurable (so
maybe there is a doc bug here too).

    Documentation:
    *Controls the behaviour of `bbdb-complete-name'.  If nil,
    completion is done across the set of all full-names and user-ids
    in the bbdb-database;

This is why I said all net addresses in a record should be considered
for completion -- it is in the docs.  ;-)

    if the symbol 'name, completion is done on names only; if the
    symbol 'net, completion is done on network addresses only; if it
    is 'primary, then completion is done only across the set of
    primary network addresses (the first address in the list of
    addresses for a given user).  If it is 'primary-or-name,
    completion is done across primaries and real names.

So it seems that most people want the default value to behave like:

    (setq bbdb-completion-type 'primary-or-name)

But the code is trying to implement a new undocumented
bbdb-completion-type:

    (setq bbdb-completion-type 'primary-xor-name)

--
matt