    Patrick> I have a question about something that's been annoying me
    Patrick> lately, for obvious reasons....

    Patrick> How do you keep the BBDB record for a user with a
    Patrick> perpetually changing email address from growing forever?
    Patrick> It's only linear growth but if everyone I knew did this
    Patrick> I'd go freakin' insane.

Try this:

(setq bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook (quote (lambda (addr) (cond ((string-match
"\\`\\([^0-9]+\\)\\(-dated-[^@]+\\|-[0-9]+\\|\\+[^@]+\\.[^@]+\\)\\(@.*\\)\\'" addr)
(concat (substring addr (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)) (substring addr
(match-beginning 3) (match-end 3)))) (t addr)))))

and see
http://forums.my.gnus.org/viewtopic.php?topic=46&forum=7&0
for an explanation for these strange addresses.

Best regards,

Adrian

    Patrick> For example the net field in my BBDB for Matt Armstrong
    Patrick> now looks like this:

    Patrick> net: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    Patrick> It's ridiculous to have so many addresses in this field
    Patrick> and I'd like to be able to make it stop without resorting
    Patrick> to filtering email via procmail since much of what he
    Patrick> writes is relevant to me.

    Patrick> Nothing personal meant by this Matt. I don't understand
    Patrick> why you do this but I also don't want to have a million
    Patrick> addresses for you.

    Patrick> -patrick

    Patrick> --
    Patrick> Patrick J. Finerty, Jr., Ph.D.