"Patrick Finerty Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a question about something that's been annoying me lately,
> for obvious reasons....
>
> How do you keep the BBDB record for a user with a perpetually
> changing email address from growing forever? It's only linear growth
> but if everyone I knew did this I'd go freakin' insane.
>
> For example the net field in my BBDB for Matt Armstrong now looks
> like this:
>
> net: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> It's ridiculous to have so many addresses in this field and I'd like
> to be able to make it stop without resorting to filtering email via
> procmail since much of what he writes is relevant to me.

Perhaps more readable than Adrian's solution, stick this in your
.emacs.  my-bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook will strip off the
+dated+... stuff from the address.

(defun my-bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook (addr)
  (cond
   ;; take care of TMDA dated addresses
   ((string-match
     "^\\(.+?\\)\\(.\\)dated\\2[0-9]+\\.[0-9a-fA-F]+\\(@.*\\)" addr)
    (concat (match-string 1 addr) (match-string 3 addr)))
   ;; by default, leave it alone
   (t addr)))

(setq bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook 'my-bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook)

> Nothing personal meant by this Matt. I don't understand why you do
> this but I also don't want to have a million addresses for you.

These 'dated' addresses expire after a while, so if spammer starts
using one of them, it won't work for long.

--
matt