I don't know BBEdit well at all, but is there some way of mapping some
other character to generate 'tab' or indents (perhaps via the Unix
filters?), then have tab as the 'completion' character. The reason I'm
thinking of this is, tab is the completion character in a number of
the Unix shells. Maybe its just not practical within an editor.

Also, is it possible to have the completion option only display, say,
a line under a word where a completion is "on offer", rather than the
list of completions, and ideally let the user know if there is a
unique completion by, say, changing the colour of the line: in this
way users can be informed of completions without having a list pop up
and they'd be clued in to when issuing (say) tab would yield a unique
completion. (Unix users would see that this is essentially a "smart"
version of the try-and-fail approach that tabbing on a word with
ambigious completions takes in the shells.)

The point of above idea is to try offer something "in between" a full
list, so that some completion is on offer, but more restrained for
users that find the list interferes with their use of the editor. It
has the obvious weakness of not showing the outcome until its done,
but so does the Unix shell completion.

Just loose thoughts while I remember. I'm out of time to check the
options out (yes, I know its the "done" thing to check first, but
better I say what I'm thinking while I remember than not say it at
all?)