On Sep 17, 2008, at 2:59 AM, NZIBIS wrote:

> I don't think a log file is a good choice: log files need to just a
> limited collection of phrases. You really want to test with something
> that uses "plain" English. Some of the completions I have must have
> 30-40+ possible completions!

So your issue is not with completion parsing performance (which is
what I was testing with a large log file), but rather with the number
of matches showing up in the completion list? Have you tried typing a
few more characters of the term you're looking for? Often, just one or
two more characters will greatly narrow-down the number of matches.

I've tried the completion feature on a variety of documents with a
large amount of plain english, and I don't really see any problems.
But it's a personal thing, based largely on individual preferences and
work style. I sincerely hope you find something that works for you,
but I'm just hoping the completion mechanism isn't changed in any way
that prevents me from working as it is right now. I think it's good
the way it is.

> With a long HTML document, it does slow things down and I find myself
> constantly getting "trapped" inside the completion menu, resulting in
> frustrating attempts to try break out of it.

Hmm, I've never really felt "trapped" by the completion menu. Have you
tried hitting the Return or Esc key? That works well for me. And since
I don't use the Emacs key bindings, I even enabled the hidden default
to use Esc as a completion trigger as well. Seems to work well,
especially if you have that muscle memory already built up from other
apps (F5 and Esc are assigned to the completion mechanism in most
standard text views in OS X).

> The reason I mention this, is I'd prefer to see the entities
> "rendered" in the list as the character, not as the code and have any
> translating to entities later.

That's an interesting idea, but I think I still prefer to see the
entity itself rather than the rendered value. After all, I am editing
the source of the document. :-)

One option that might work for your idea, however, is to create a
variety of HTML entities as clippings, using the entity for the
inserted value and the "rendered" character for the name of the
clipping.

I'm not sure how well that would work, but the completion list seems
to favor clippings, sorting them at the top. I guess it might not help
in cases where an entity is embedded in an existing word, but this
approach might help in inserting new HTML entities.

-Dennis