I did a test using the latest kernel from
https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/blob/3.8/configs/beaglebone and the
kernel configuration I posted this morning. To load the cpu I used stress
--cpu 1 & cyclictest -l10000000 -m -n -t1 -p99 -i400 -h400 -q. I have
attached the output of cyclictest and an image with the latency histogram.

The maximum latency is now at 262 µs. However, only about 0.2% of the
samples are at t>=36 µs. It is clear that a kernel with the simple PREEMPT
option is not as good as one with the PREEMPT_RT option. But it is
definitely much better than a default kernel without any preemption enabled.

Am Mittwoch, 5. März 2014 11:14:43 UTC+1 schrieb quik...@gmail.com:

> There are two repos on github which are related to the BBB kernel. It
> seems that you are active in both of theses repositories.I have always used
> https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel. But there's another repo at
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev. What exactly is the
> difference between these repos?
>
> The default kernel configuration for kernel 3.8 from
> https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel is at
> https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/blob/3.8/configs/beaglebone. In
> order to allow people to build a PREEMPT capable version we could simply
> provide a second kernel configuration. The name could be
> beaglebone_preempt. This way you wouldn't have to change the default
> configuration. On the other hand this would allow people to quickly
> evaluate the PREEMPT version and have at least some basic determinism.
>
> I have attached my modified kernel configuration. I am currently doing
> further tests.
>

> Am Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2014 15:23:01 UTC+1 schrieb RobertCNelson:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM,  <quik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Of course every user can create his own kernel coniguration or even
>> modify
>> > the Linux kernel in any way he wants. But if there is any problem he's
>> > beeing left alone. I think it would be much better to have a default
>> kernel
>> > configuration which at least provides simple PREEMPT support. That
>> might
>> > help people to fight against most simple latency problems.
>>

>> Notice how the github account says "RobertCNelson"? Your welcome to
>> fork that project and push kernel/image with your modifications. I'm
>> not psychically forcing my config choices down people's throat.
>> Everything is setup to easily allow you to rebuild/modify/etc
>> everything.  Maybe I just give too many options.  So I have my reasons
>> for leaving PREEMPT disabled by default and on an old tested v3.8
>> kernel, the last thing i'm going to do is radically change the config.
>> To much of a risk on a kernel in maintenance only mode at this point.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Robert Nelson
>> http://www.rcn-ee.com/