Robert, thanks for your work.

Is there a guide somewhere to build or a way to download a absolute minimal
image. Something with only ssh, apt and full hardware initialization on it
and nothing else. That would be a good base for couple of headless projects
I am thinking about.

When I am talking about HW initialization I am only thinking about network
and hwrng

Right now I am using this:

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-02-16-2gb.img.xz

and I will continue to use it as it is. But if you plan to stop developing
those images I need to start thinking about another way to get a headless
emmc debian image working.