On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:21:31 AM UTC-6, Mike Bell wrote:

> Is this shell running within X?  If so .profile isn't sourced as it's
> not run as login shell.

Ah ha... there is the nugget of truth I was looking for. Yes, this is the
LXTerminal under LXDE.

I checked and the .profile *is* executed for my serial console.

So how does one get the same path for the LXTerminal as you get using a
serial terminal? Also, is an ssh terminal a login shell, or is like the X
terminal?

> I don't quite follow why you want to set the TZ
> variable from the user environment either.  It's all handled at a system
> level by default.

No need to set the variable then export it either, just do it all in one
> go.
>
> export TZ="Whatever"

I know that now, but yesterday when I was trying to get the timezone set
correctly I ran the tzselect command (which seemed logical). This is the
output of that command:

The following information has been given:

Canada
Mountain Time - Alberta, east British Columbia & west Saskatchewan

Therefore TZ='America/Edmonton' will be used.
Local time is now:Fri Mar 14 09:31:43 MDT 2014.
Universal Time is now:Fri Mar 14 15:31:43 UTC 2014.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1

You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
TZ='America/Edmonton'; export TZ
to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in
again.

Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the /usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
America/Edmonton

So I did as it suggested. I added this line to my .profile and logged out
and in. This again seemed logical. I left it in as a simple test of whether
or not my .profile was executed. I will remove it now.

> Also less typing to just "echo" variables....
>
> echo $HOME $PATH
>
> Really no need for env and grep.

Yes, thanks for the tip. I started by using env to dump my entire
environment, and then just progressed to using grep to filter the dump,
while looking into why the .profile wasn't being executed.

Thanks again for the info.

Dennis Cote