On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Dennis Cote <denn...@harding.ca> wrote:
> On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:21:31 AM UTC-6, Mike Bell wrote:
>>
>> Is this shell running within X?  If so .profile isn't sourced as it's
>> not run as login shell.
>

> Ah ha... there is the nugget of truth I was looking for. Yes, this is the
> LXTerminal under LXDE.
>
> I checked and the .profile *is* executed for my serial console.
>
> So how does one get the same path for the LXTerminal as you get using a
> serial terminal? Also, is an ssh terminal a login shell, or is like the X
> terminal?

Ahh, I've been doing it over serial/ssh..

For lxterminal (which doesn't reference .profile according to lots of
bug reports). It works if i add:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

into .bashrc

If there is no objections i'll probably set that up by default..

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/