On Friday, March 14, 2014 11:53:15 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:

> Yeap it does..
>
> debian@beaglebone:~$ echo $PATH
> /home/debian/bin:/home/debian/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
>

> What gets sourced first? i can patch it to check..

I moved that section from my .profile to .bashrc since .profile will source
.bashrc if it exists. So a login shell will source .profile, which will
source .bashrc and add the path. A non login shell will source .bashrc
directly and add the path. This seems to work for me.

I'm not sure what happens for script that use #!/bin/sh since that runs
dash instead of bash. The dash docs say it sources .profile on login shells
so that should be OK, but for non login shells it says it looks in the ENV
environment variable for the name of a file to execute. There is no such
variable defined currently so it does nothing.

Perhaps these commands should be put in a .shinit file and then set
ENV=$HOME/.shint in the .profile file to take card of setting it for login
shells, and have the .bashrc source this .shinit file for non login shells.

Dennis Cote