I was looking for a device with HDMI output, real AD inputs (no abused
touchpad or PMIC inputs), interrupt support, basic graphic support and what
I consider state of the art RAM and flash.
Compared to the general single board computers my requirements narrowed
down the matches amazingly (like 4 left out of 122
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers>).
Than I was going for support and a bit for reliability of manufacturer.
That's how I came to BBB.
But all the single board computers on my shortlist supported more or less
the same OS. So at least in my case 'I should have considered OS before
buying BBB' does not apply.

When you do want to sell your solution it might also be neccessary to think
about functional safety, if applicable. Regulations might have become more
strict since your initial design.

In opposite to Richard Grahams considerations lifetime of BBB is not so
relevant in my case. Everything is modular. If BBB dies in 5 years, I plug
it out and put a new one in.
hmmm maybe we should consider long term availability of the  boards... or
put some boards in our storage... ;-)

Chilli