On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:02:13 -0500, you wrote:

>When you design low cost hardware, you have to make certain decisions to
>get the cost down.
>
>1) As few components as possible.
  granted, no problem with that.

>2) Limit the application. Only one application,
  do we know what the application is?  Apparently people tend to think
that this can do anything.
>3) Push as much cost outside, for example the power supply.
  hmmm, then that says you have not as much control over the power
supply as you might want.  Certainly not as much as you may like.

>4) Lowest cost components.
  no problem.
>5) Limit the features.
  no problem.  It does what it does.

>6) Cut the profit.
  diminishing returns.

>Yes, there are several things I could have done different. Many of these no
>one has even identified.
Perhaps it might be interesting to know what they were... Not
criticizing, but to know design alternatives might be nice.

>But if I had, you would not have bought it because
>it cost too much. After all hardware is supposed to be cheap.

I'd personally disagree.  Hardware costs as much as you pay for, and
does what you design it to do.  I, for one, am willing to pay more for
more capability, within reason.  Not your typical consumer,
though.....

>That is where
>the value is, in the price. Not the value..

Then you're designing to a price point, and that's a different thing
entirely.

>Nobody asked how I took it from $89 to $49. They just bought them up and
>complained that it didn't do all the things they wanted it to do for $49.

I'm not even aware that your initial design was 89 dollars.  I might
not have bought it for that, but that would have been my decision. "I"
however, am not "they".... but there are a lot more of "them" than
there are of me....

Not practical for you to put too many blank pads on a board and expect
the user to solder parts in.  I do, because I can build the boards.
Your average hobby type... not likely I suspect.

>If anyone of you want to change the design, add more features, make it more
>robust, add more cost, increase the price, manufacture it and sell it, by
>all means, go ahead. I am sure there will b a few folks that value the
>hardware and recognize that value, and will pay for it.

If I needed something with that capability, I'd probably buy it
because my cost preference on a PC board is 2 layers and not 4 or 6. I
don't have the money to develop a product at this level, nor do I have
the desire, nor perhaps the time or expertise.

The cost would, of course, determine how many I'd use, and for what,
but that's a simple economic decision.  Then there's the engineering
decision.

>But, I suspect the majority will complain that it is too expensive and will
>stay with the BBB and instead ask how to flash the latest image in the BBB
>and why does my my GPIO does not work..

Can't help you with that....

Harvey

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/rarlnbptmkkr2fs2hjqudj543mckujfv0r%404ax.com.