> It's not second guessing.  We're (to me) looking at different design
> goals.  I'm willing to pay more to have a feature if I want it.  Price
> point is simply that, 5 more dollars and who knows how many customers
> you lose?
>
> Because I design *my* stuff (to my own price points....) it's a matter
> of divergent design goals.  Not right or wrong, just different.

Ah, ok, I get that.

Ah, now that is a different product.  Different design goals

Absolutely. The BBW for us would have worked fine, but many of the cool
features like onboard JTAG simply was not needed for our design goals, but
seemed to have added a lot of costs that we would have preferred not to
pay. So for us, in this context, Gerald was bang on with his designed
goals. But was it perfect ? Probably not, but how many here would profess
to "looking a gift horse in the eye" ? Also, many of use could look at
these so called design flaws as an opportunity. I'm already making money
from one such "flaw",  that is actually not a flaw. But a design / cost
decision.

>From my experience, perhaps a factor of 2 IF the board could be routed
properly.  With added layers, there's a factor that makes the board
more stable, gives better performance (due to transmission line
effects and signal isolation), and is often easier to route in a
particular size.  The physical cost is that the board can cost twice
as much (at least).

Well my own comments here were rather . . . yeah I do not know what. I'm
not an EE, with experience in design layout. But I do have some
understanding of the process, as one of my long time friends is very good
with orcad, and design layout. So, I'm sure there is more than dimensions
to consider in this design. For instance, I know that the DDR traces have
to be very exact. A two layer design would surely have an impact on that,
if not more . . .

I think that the BBB has transitioned from a somewhat specialized
product supported by hobbyists to a commodity.  Commodities are bought
by appliance users (a term borrowed from the amateur radio community).
The mindset is quite different.  The expectations of the consumer are
also quite different.

If you think the BBB is bad, I think we should both consider the
Arduino world....

I do not know much about the Arduino world. I prefer not to think about
Arduino's period. My buddy here who is a very good EE, and has been an EE
for 35+ years tells me he thinks the Arduino is awesome. Because it puts
hardware in the hands of novices, and give them the ability to "make". My
take on this is quite the opposite actually . . .

But here is the thing, 3.5+ year ago I entered into the world of Beagle
knowing nothing. So I can understand the frustration of not knowing how to
deal with a given situation. I have even once or twice "bitten someones
head off" because I was frustrated. The thing is, my inability to
understand something is not someone elses problem, or responsibility.
Which I realized even as I complained silently to myself . . .so I forced
myself to learn, instead of blaming someone else for my inabilities. Now, I
understand more about this hardware, and perhaps a good bit more about
embedded Linux. But *ONLY* because I put effort into it. Well, others have
helped some too, but no one did anything for me. Others helped as I helped
myself to learn enough to ask a smart question.

Honestly I think I can count the "real" questions I've asked on these
groups on one hand. I've asked Robert many questions in relation to other
posts he replied to from others. But questions I started myself . . . very
few. So why is this important ? It's important because 99% of the time it's
best to go out and find the answer for yourself, and make sure you get the
correct answer. Versus getting the wrong answer right away from someone
else. There are of course exceptions, such as asking Robert specific
questions about things in his domain. Not only that, but going out and
finding your own answers sets you up as a problem solver. Someone who can
think their own way out of things, versus being a hindrance on the
community.

Anyway, this all ties to people making false assumptions on these groups
and getting huffy / puffy, and claiming that x.y.z platform is better
because of a.b.c. But guess what ? Beagle hardware has no direct comparison
out there. So if peopel in this situation do as they claim, they're only
hurting themselves. Most of these people though , , I tend to view as dim
witted want-to-be's. People who want to run a media player app/ shell /
whatever, and nothing else WHICH, in this persons humble opinion is not
where this hardware shines . . .anyway, I'm starting to rant. Perhaps I
should call it quites for now.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpD%2BjPKSWnH-7dP0GAQv8KVhL0FxwF9oWo1PRGaTZZ-4g%40mail.gmail.com.