Gavin Henry wrote:
I really like Perl, but lately everywhere I seem to go and talk to say I

Me too :)

shouldn't be learning Perl as it's old and Python is better.

Python is different not necessarily better.

Since starting to learn Perl though, every other language I started to
learn/t, C, PHP etc. seem to make more sense now, as Perl has cleared
things up.

Because Perl rocks!

When I look at Perl, I can understand it (it kind of looks like bash),
when I look at a Python script, ugh.

I have been also trying to do some gui work with perl using wxperl, Python
seems to be much better suited/supported (for wx) and I couldn't find very
many docs for wxperl. What else is good looking to use?

have a look at tk at cpan

I love CPAN.

Another plus over many other languages. Perl has many advantages over other languages.
1) Its readily available in most systems as its alreayd installed.
2) Its capable of any task any other language is
3) It can be run persistantly or as part of apache as needed but is not necessary.
4) If it is part of apache and you expand its functionality by adding a module you don't break apache half the time like another bloated language who name I won't say (its initials are PHP ;p)
5)

Basically, my morale is getting low and I need a boost from you guys. Perl
isn't old is it?

It is mature, that is one thing that makes it great, less "oh crap upgrade to 4.3.8 or you're server is vulnerable" like the other unmentionable language I hinted at earlier.

I am on the right path?

Yes you are padawan. One thing that makes other languages appeal to people is;t anythgin to do with the language itself. Rather its the developers and there wise use of nice design. For example, phpbb is an excellent forum. There are tons of other forums that have the same functionality but it just looks slick so people just use it.
Of course the point being is that its html and css that make people choose it, not PHP.

With perl, we seem to tend toward, "here';s how you do that" and not put much into the presentation (IE html/css, etc) and therefore it *looks* clunkier on the outside.

So lets all keep using Perl and make it look nice so it sells!!!

Be kind ;-)

use The::Force;

Thanks all,

No woriies :)