Gavin Henry wrote:
I really like Perl, but lately everywhere I seem to go and talk to say I
shouldn't be learning Perl as it's old and Python is better.

Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, C and Basic are older and people still use them.

There are always people who will say that X is better then Y (and people who will say that Y is better then X) and maybe for them it is. It could be that they don't fully understand X and Y (and A, B, C and D) and are making a judgment on limited knowledge. It could be that their particular circumstances are more conducive to using Y instead of X.

As a professional programmer you should learn many languages and use the best one for the circumstances at hand. :-) IMHO

John -- use Perl; program fulfillment