erland;495917 Wrote:
> I still like the product to survive, it's still a great product line
> with huge potential with or without third party plugins. However, unless
> something happens I'm a bit scared the competition will catch up and
> take over the market. IMHO, Logitech really needs to take the next step
> and start implementing features that will enhance your music listening
> experience not just make it possible to listen to music.

I'm not sure they will, at least if Logitech figures out that 3rd party
development is a huge factor of SB, even if some users don't know it,
the 3rd party stuff is a sort of skunk works for the core package.
Heck, I think Random playing was originally a 3rd party plugin (by KDF
if I recall right).  Something that we now take as completely basic.
Last.fm was (and still is if you choose that route) a 3rd party
application.  PublicRadioFan has been mostly superceded by RadioTime,
but it was first.  Sirius as well.

3rd party creates a nice breeding and testing ground for new ideas, and
those that are easy enough to steal can end up being absorbed.  (Hah,
your plugins are trickier to steal... you've upped the ante on
complexity a bit).

The whole point of Free Software isn't that it's 'free' as in cost,
it's the wild ass tangents that it can go on absent corporate
restraints.  Certainly some restraints are needed, especially as things
get more complex, but encouraging the experimentation is where the
innovation is, and re-absorbing that experimentation into releases makes
the product better.   This is something that historically SlimDevices
relied on.

> I haven't touched any of my third party applets or plugins since I
> posted the other thread and don't plan to do it unless something changes
> that makes the inspiration come back. I think I only said that I will
> take a break from third party development, I didn't say I'd take a break
> from the community.

And I hope you don't, your input is valued.

--
snarlydwarf