On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 03:57:27PM -0700, Bob Van Zant wrote:
> I quickly see this turning into the same license debate we've seen
> 100 times.
>
> Andreas was asking for a license that makes the business world feel
> good about modifying the source. GPL does not make me feel good.

That's unfortunate. :\

> Something like FreeBSD where I can give back the changes that I want
> to (think what Apple has done for various open source projects)
> makes me feel good and is probably a fair compromise.

That's no compromise for the user, only the developer, in that ACME
can build a whizbang out of the developer's work and make megabucks
without contributing anything back.

> I bet the people that don't give back changes they make to software
> licensed under FreeBSD are the same people that don't give back
> their changes to GPL software (despite the unlawfulness).

Pretty cynical. :) In my world the people that don't want to give
back changes made to BSD licensed software won't use GPLed software
as building blocks in the first place, since doing so would be
unlawful.

//Peter