* Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Apr 02. 2002 21:53]:

> > I've tried hacks like:
> >   bbrun &
> >   sleep 1 && bbpager &
> >   sleep 1 && wmusic &
> > etc., but these are not consistent.
> >
> > Any _other_ ideas anyone?
> >

> There is no good way.  The slit is given windows as they are opened
> and it basically adds them to the bottom of the stack.  The only sure
> fire way is to force the programs to load in the order you want.
> Which means icky sleep/delay tricks.

I perform these tricks with the following little 'slit' script. That way
you only have to do 'slit start' in .xinitrc and if I want to change the
contents it's easy to restart it. Maybe someone could use it?

#!/bin/bash

declare -a apps
apps[4]="wmweather -s EDDN -metric -mmHg -beaufort"
apps[3]="wmfire -B"
apps[2]="wmcalclock -24"
apps[1]="wmbiff"

num_apps=${#apps[@]}

case "$1" in
  start)
      while [ $num_apps -gt 0 ]; do
        ${apps[$num_apps]} &
        sleep 1
        let "num_apps -= 1"
      done
    ;;

  stop)
      while [ $num_apps -gt 0 ]; do
        killall $(echo ${apps[$num_apps]} | awk '{print $1}') &
        let "num_apps -= 1"
      done

    ;;
  restart)
      $0 stop
      $0 start
      ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
      ;;
esac

exit 0

The script was originally written by my friend Christopher Mahmood, just
to set the record straight :)

--
Mads Martin Jørgensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic