  From: Dan Rossi
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:08 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] building a house

    Hmm, so many possibilities for building a house from scratch these days.
  I think that radiant under floor heating and heavy walls are probably a
  good start, either masonry or rammed earth walls. Air tight but with
  good air exchange. There is a company in Germany, can't remember the
  name, but they make windows that are the most efficient in the world.
  They have triple seals or something and have a lever that pulls them
  closed and seals them. Plus they are triple pained and low E and all that.
  However, you can probably spend the better part of your 80 grand just on
  the windows.

  Is your goal to make a house that costs nothing to run, or do you want to
  build the largest house you can get for the money even though it might
  cost a bit more to heat and cool? They are kind of mutually exclusive.
  In either case, I envy you as I think it would be quite a lot of fun to
  design and build a house from scratch.

  --
  Blue skies.
  Dan Rossi