On Friday 2004-01-09 03:46, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
> Trent Shipley wrote:
> > There are two sorts of instability.
> >
> > One level of instability is at the level of the lineage.  The other is
> > the stablity of the inter-species political order.  Moderate or serious
> > disparities in wealth curves mean that a lot of lineages die out.  Having
> > lineages die out is not necessarily a problem for Galactic political
> > stability.  In real life lineages are usually short lived--even in
> > lineage oriented societies like the middle east or in Samoa.  Political
> > instability results when MAJOR lines die out.  When the King dies without
> > issues you get wars of succession.
>
> Ok. But it seems that in the Uplift Universe few lineages die, or there
> would be more aliances based on ancestry than on religious faith.

Why?

In uplift a races primary alliance is (usually) based on lineage.  Its
secondary alliance tends to be ideological.  Lineage is small but strong,
"religion" is big but weak.

> >> But it is _very_ unstable. I claim that the rate should be quite close
> >> to 1 client : 1 patron, so that _most_ lines would be mantained for long
> >> periods of time.
> >
> > Lets talk in terms of total clients uplifted during a patron's main
> > sequence existence.  In that case a replacement rate of one under total
> > fairness gives this histogram.
>
> Ok, I get your point without the histograms :-)
>
> > I propose:
>
> So, you would have 35% of _all_ species failing to have a client? That's
> too much IMHO.

What about:

[  0- 20) : 0 clients
--- some don't want clients
--- some shouldn't have clients (a form of uplift failure)
--- some get cheated out of clients (the Uplift universe ain't fair)

[20- 88) : 1 client
[88- 92) : 2 clients
[92- 95) : 3 clients
[95- 98) : 4 clients
[98- 99) : 5 clients
[99-100) : 6+ clients

Having more that 8 or 9 clients is quite rare.

If I did this right it should work out to about 1.1 client per patron.