Trent Shipley wrote:

> > Ok. But it's better to go back and set the Drake factors based on what
> > we want to get in the end.
>
> Excellent idea!

And then we can get back and estimate how many planets developed
pre-sentient life _before_ the Progenitors came and destroyed their own
planets causing self-extinction, based on the estimation that the Universe
is some tens of thousands of millions of years old and that Galaxies
might have existed from half to 1/10 of this time.

> N* = 100*10^9 (that is, 1.00E+11)
> fp = .75 (most systems have planets)
> ne = .25 (few could support life, partly a cheat factor)
> fl = 3.00E-05 (3/100,000 have life, entirely a cheat factor.  Implies there
> are a lot of terraforming candidates....)
> fi = 1 (ALL good planets get colonized)
> fc = 1 (If colonized, the setlers participate in O-2 Civ.)
> fL = .125 (7 times out of 8 a planet is fallow)
>
> This gives the number of planets that could *naturally* support life in the
> Milky Way
>
> N = 7.03E+04

Small, isn't it?

> 5 galaxies
>
> Total natural planets under GIM control = 2.81E+06
>
> Total natural GIM leased planets = 5N = 3.52E+05
>
> Natural/Terraformed = 1/6
>
> Total GIM planets (B or C leasable) = 1.69E+07
>
> (We don't count A class leases because they are in need of terraforming.)
>
> Total GIM B or C leases at present time = 2.11E+06
>
> Giving us about 11.1 planets per race, which is close enough to 10.

Yes, I think the mean of 10 is consistent with the data that Earth has 10

Alberto Monteiro