JDG wrote:

Doug, I think there is a huge difference between the religious attitudes of Brin-L members vs. Brin-L posts. Quite simply, this List is consistently bombarded with a plethora of anti-religious, anti-Christian, and yes,
anti-Catholic posts. For whatever reason, very few people, other than
myself, speak up against them. Maybe, like me, they all have the likes of William Goodall killfiled (which I did after I realized that he had nothing to say here other than to denigrate religion). On the other hand, silence is essentially tolerance - and as Gautam has noted, anti-Christianism is
America's last politically correct form of bigotry. Based on the way it
is tolerated here in Brin-L, I can believe it.

While I'm not anti-religion, as a non believer I don't feel any obligation to defend religion either. I _have_ spoken up when I thought people were getting too personal.

As for bigotry in America, put yourself in the shoes of an non-believer for a moment and you'll feel real bigotry.

JDG - Ad hominem attack against the strength of my faith being treated with the contempt it deserves, faux-smiley notwithstanding.....

I'm sorry that you construed my comment as an attack on your faith. I do not have contempt for your faith. In fact I believe very strongly that you can believe what you want within the limits of the law. My only problem with religion is when its tenants are imposed on myself either directly (such as forcing my children to pray) or indirectly via what is supposed to be a secular government. What I meant to point out was that on brin-l you aren't in the position of being the power majority that Christians in this country normally enjoy.

--
Doug