Just a couple quibbles.

There are in fact stacks of religions which claim literalism. *All*
fundamentalist interpretations of *all* sects do so.

As to the other minor asides...

On Jul 31, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Andrew Crystall wrote:

> So, what do you think of Steven Hawkins? *grins*

Hawking. Stephen Hawking.

BTW, he doesn't strike me as a raving madman so much as a famous, if
not entirely deservedly so, physicist. True, a lot of what he writes
seems crazy, but it's backed up with a substantial body of evidence
that religious authorship lacks.

>> The  Koran,  Tripitaka, Bhagavad Gita, Bible et cetera are just texts
>> written by people and have no more claim to divine afflatus than the
>> Norse Eddas, the secret texts of Scientology or even my shopping list?
>
> Um, sharp differentation there. Scientology is an presently and
> actively dangerous *criminal organisation*. So putting it in a list
> with anything else is wrong. We don't tolerate the Mafia, why do we
> tolerate scientology again? Oh right, Tom Cruise. *thud*.

That aside, the Catholic church actively engaged in hiding
priest-rapists for *decades*. There are strong indications they still
do so. This fits well into my definition of criminal behavior.

And, for the record, shopping lists can indeed be divinely inspired, if
you're purchasing bread and wine for a party at which you're acting as
Host.

--
Warren Ockrassa
Blog  | http://indigestible.nightwares.com/