John Palmer wrote:
"This must be due to two things:
1. Better training and coaching at the junior and university level.
2. A higher level of/more opportunity for competition in all divisions."

I think it is also important to note the difference in attitude between the
UK/Europe and the US when it comes to sports.  From a very young age the
emphasis on US children is to compete to win - be it local little league
baseball to university games.  I don't know any other country that has
national TV coverage of university sports and has a paying crowd to come
watch them!

If we want to improve the player base then I think we need to move away from
relying on finding people at the university level when the majority of
people already have their sport 'of choice' to putting the emphasis on high
school kids - much like what Kev Lowe (congrats on the bambino!!) is trying
to do in and around Chester.  By teaching them the sport at a younger age by
the time they come to compete in open/womens/mixed they will have far more
experience than if they only had seen the game at uni - if they ever
bothered to try it in the first place!

One way of doing this could be by organising visits to schools and then
running coaching sessions on a weekend in the winter  (like local footy
clubs do).  Obviously this would take a lot of time and effort but maybe
look for funding with local councils - possibly by getting a press release
from UKU showing what the sport promotes - e.g. fair play, friendship,
respect, fun - to help sell is as the ideal sport for children?!?!

Then imagine the rewards in 5-8 years time when we suddenly have a glut of
new fresh talent who have hopefully learnt from the masters of today - then
we could compete with North America

Just an idea

Matt