From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jon Palmer
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 4:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [BD] The Future of UK ultimate [was: Tour Structure etc]

BD,

Many people have asked why the UK and Europe fail to match up to the level
of ultimate played in the US. A common answer is that the US has more
people, more players and they've been playing the sport longer and have
more experience. However I think this is the wrong way to think about it.
While the USA population of 290 million vs. 60 million in the UK might seem
to be an advantage, I think it is much more telling to look at smaller areas
of the USA from which the club teams that represent the USA come from. The
question should not be "How does the USA consistently produce teams that are
better than teams from the whole of the UK?" but instead:

"How is it that a region such as New England (DoG), California (Condors) or
Vancouver (Furious) can consistently produce teams that are better than
teams from the whole of the UK (or any other European country for that
matter)?"

Compare the numbers:

UK

Population: 60 million
Ultimate players: 2000
Student population: 5 million
University teams: ~50

Massachusetts

Population: 6 million
Ultimate players: ~2500
Student population: 0.5 million
University teams: ~50 (?)

Similar numbers must be true of California, Vancouver or most other areas
of North America. So Massachusetts (or even New England as a whole) have
smaller population than the UK. They obviously have a higher % of
population playing ultimate and have stronger junior programs. These two
facts can largely be attributed to the fact that the sport is older in the
US and is more established where as in the UK it is still (I hope) growing
and gaining acceptance and exposure.

Yet it is still a fact that in every division, be it University, womens,
mixed or open, that Massachusetts alone has 2-5 teams in each division that
would be top 4 if not win their respective divisions in the UK. I suspect
even that some of the US college teams would do surprisingly well in the
open tour.

This must be due to two things:
1. Better training and coaching at the junior and university level.
2. A higher level of/more opportunity for competition in all divisions.

The first problem is key. The bottom line is that most UK universities
start of at the same basic level as US universities. Both have equally
athletic beginners entering their first year that they have to
train up to be great players in 3-4 years.

Yet the average US player graduating university is a
significantly better player than the UK graduate. This should be easy to
fix, get top players in the UK to help coach and develop players (when was
the last time that most GB players taught a beginner to throw a forhand?).
The UKUA can develop a coaching qualification and provide literature on how
to run a team and how to run practices. (In the
mean time everyone coaching a University team should go and read Jim
Parinella's book "Ultimate Techniques & Tactics".) It is important to note
that it isn't good enough for the top open teams to recruit good university
players from their area and hope that those players in turn share their new
knowledge and skill with their university teams. It is crucial that the top
UK players get directly involved in the actual coaching and training of
university teams.

How to improve the level of competition is more difficult but I believe the
key is to start to view the problem from a different angle. Instead of
asking how the UK can beat the USA think of how Europe can beat the USA. It
is easy to see the similarities between regionals/Nationals and European
clubs and sectionals/regionals/nationals in the UPA. European clubs is the
closest thing we get to UPA nationals yet we only run it every four years!!
Why not run it every year? Why not run regionals, a 16 team UK nationals
and have the top X (2-5?) teams qualify for European clubs in the same
year? It should also be looked into to see if it would be practical to run
a European Universities competition along similar lines.

More controversially why not scrap the tour. Replace it with regionals,
nationals and European clubs every year as previously discussed. Expand the
Champions league format to involve more teams (this would be similar to the
elite divisions at the 'invite' tournaments in the US) a host of other
tournaments would hopefully pop up in traditional venues and new ones to
replace
the tour events. These might range from serious preseason warm-ups to just
for fun tournaments. Teams would be able to pick and choose their tourneys
based on style of tournament, cost, how close they are etc. etc. The UKUA
could oversee some
form of calendar to help avoid conflicts.

A side effect of this would be to make the UKUA's job simpler and also
create a better economic market for TD's. A tournament that consistently
provides value for money, flat pitches or hot showers will find it easy to
fill the tournament and should be able to make a good profit and no one
would mind them doing so. On the flip side TD's that consistently don't
provide the above will find it hard to make money the next year. It would
also stop the bitching and complaining so often leveled at the TD's and the
DoC. If you didn't like a tournament you don't go the next year. The
current format of the tour creates more complaints because teams they feel
that they have little choice about which tournaments to attend and so
inevitably feel disappointed/let down when a given tour event doesn't meet
their expectations.

Everyone would benefit, the UKUA has a simpler task to oversee fewer
tournaments and get less bitching, the good TD's will make more money, the
bad ones less, all the players will get better value for money, as
well as a greater choice and flexibility, the top players would have a
shorter less tiring season and a higher level of competition. Why would you
do it any other way?

JP