I agree that the way to improve Ultimate in the long run is promotion to
younger groups.  But not just to build their skills early - instead,
promotion in schools will increase the overall player base and the number of
athletes who see it as a viable sport option.

I think this can and should be one of the main thrusts of UKUA - to promote
the sport to schools.

The level of athleticism involved, combined with the unique spirit of the
game could make Ultimate very attractive for school sporting programmes.
Ive seen occasional e-mails asking for volunteers to show Ultimate in
schools, but I think the association must be proactive to approach
organisations of Physical Education Teachers (do they have a national
organisation?) or school sports directors - or even heads of schools.

The association can go about producion of simple instructions and teaching
guides for various age groups, and maybe even give schools a few discs?
(Does anything like this happen already by UKUA? I just dont know)

Once children start playing it in schools, they will know of it and see it
as a viable sport option later in life.  School teams and leagues may
follow, but I think the beginning is to get young people in this country to
know what Ultimate is, and give them some experience with it.  A couple of
months ago a 15 year old girl sitting next to me on a plane from New York to
Montreal told me - without my mentioning I played - that she "really wanted
to go to Vancouver to see [her] favourite ultimate team play".  We need to
not olny get the 15 year olds in the UK to know what ultimate is, but to see
it as a normal everyday sport that can be casually mentioned in this way.

-Justin P.