Hi,

Without knowing exactly what you did, it's hard to guess however here are
a few suggestions, in addition to the ideas already given by others:

a. try iodination. Simply place an iodine crystal near the drop (glue it
to the cover slip using a tiny bit of grease) and let the vapors penetrate
the drop gradually. Also you can add 0.1 mM of KI to the solution then add
a speck of iodine - the KI will slowly transition the iodine via the KI3
complex to the protein. You have to experiment with timing - what worked
for me was 1 day exposure. The crystals may or may not turn yellow -
depends on your protein and on conditions.

b. I am surprised that mercury derivatives did not work. Have you tried
increasing amounts of ethyl mercury phosphate?

c. Have you tried my favorite platinum derivative - KPt(NO2)3? You can add
a LOT of this stuff - it's very mild on the protein.

Artem