Hi Miguel,

I was deliberately extreme, in order to make my point (which is that the
only item that *really* needs to be stored is information).

Yes, it is in general cheaper to have plasmid samples stored on DNA cards.
Total cost would be a few dollars depending on whether you use commercial
DNA cards or make your own and also depending on how many replicates (DNA
spots) one stores. The cost of sending DNA through the mail is also quite
low, even for international shipments because it's a simple letter. The only
significant cost is to transform the DNA off the card into suitable host
organism and to verify its integrity (adviseable if DNA in question is
several years old).

On the other hand, one already can find DNA synthesis for less than 30 cents
per bp. Since the company also does sequencing - the only remaining cost is
that of subcloning and transformation/transfection etc. For a protein of say
400 amino acids it's about 1300 nt (given the ends and such) which comes out
to be less than $500. If you're working with something hideous (again, like
a GPCR) then your materials costs are likely to be orders of magnitude
higher than that simply because detergents, synthetic ligands, etc. still
cost a lot of money. Therefore DNA cost becomes relatively insignificant :)

And that's now. In the future (and I mean near future) costs for DNA
synthesis and sequencing are likely to drop - probably to about 5 cents per
bp, ten years from now. So this is only going to get better.

Artem

---
When the Weasel comes to give New Year's greetings to the Chickens no good
intentions are in his mind.