Hey Careina

I had once experience the same phenomenon. No diffraction at all. That did
not make any sense to me. So i dipped the "empty" loop in the water, and
flash froze the loop in liquid nitrogen. Once exposed to X-ray, there was
no ice rings... Eventually, it turned out that system had a glitch, and
there was no X-ray. True story!

Best wishes

-Z

Zaigham Mahmood Khan, PhD