On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 2:24 PM Brad H via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Sometimes.  But a lot of times it's just simply trying to get as much as
> possible, which I guess is rational economic behavior.  And the fault for
> the high prices is us collectors - ye who bid thousands for old Apple IIs
> or $3500 for a Microswitch keyboard.

This topic is at least as old as the list itself :D

> I've been hunting for a Sanyo MBC-16 like the ones we had in our
> highschool.. there's one on ebay right now.. but despite another previously
> selling for less than $300 the seller is absolutely locked to $999.  And he
> might be right, someone more motivated than me and to whom $1000 is no big
> deal might reward his patience.

There's one in Germany that's in much nicer shape.  You probably can't do
anything about the $154 shipping but you can probably negotiate the $323
asking price as it's open to offers.

> I've seen that happen with items that sat literally for years on ebay
> before selling pretty close to asking.

I finally sold a MITS Altair 8800 1K Static Mem board last month.  I had it
listed for $1,200 (accepted $1,100).  What made it special were the
(8) Intel C8101 static RAM chips, each of which is worth a small fortune.
I was willing to sit on it until the right buyer came along, and he did.
Guilty as charged :)

> It's too bad the various collecting communities can't have the disarmament
> equivalent of SALT talks and maybe agree to not keep feeding the beast.
> Although I suppose on the upside, the high values mean stuff that might
> otherwise get discarded survives.

I think I've come up with a nice way to get that accomplished through good
old market dynamics (i.e. voluntarily) with a subtle twist.

Sellam