-----Original Message-----
From: Sellam Abraham via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2023 3:07 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: Sellam Abraham <sellam.ism...@gmail.com>
Subject: [cctalk] Re: PDP-8/L $15,000

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 2:24 PM Brad H via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

>> Sometimes.  But a lot of times it's just simply trying to get as much
>>as possible, which I guess is rational economic behavior.  And the
>>fault for the high prices is us collectors - ye who bid thousands for
>> old Apple IIs or $3500 for a Microswitch keyboard.
>>

> This topic is at least as old as the list itself :D

Yup.

>> I've been hunting for a Sanyo MBC-16 like the ones we had in our
>> highschool.. there's one on ebay right now.. but despite another
>> previously selling for less than $300 the seller is absolutely locked
>> to $999.  And he might be right, someone more motivated than me and to
>> whom $1000 is no big deal might reward his patience.

>There's one in Germany that's in much nicer shape.  You probably can't do
>anything about the $154 shipping but you can probably negotiate the $323
>asking price as it's open to offers.

You mean this one?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/144865038347  It was marked sold
but seems to be back again.  Weird.  Problem with that one is like you said,
the shipping, plus it's not working, plus it's 220v and I don't know if those
PSUs have a way to switch to 110V.

Not sure why they're so rare.. I guess they were more of an international
thing, like my Dad's "Panasonic" Tandy.

>> I've seen that happen with items that sat literally for years on ebay
>> before selling pretty close to asking.
>>

>I finally sold a MITS Altair 8800 1K Static Mem board last month.  I had it
>listed for $1,200 (accepted $1,100).  What made it special were the
>(8) Intel C8101 static RAM chips, each of which is worth a small fortune.
>I was willing to sit on it until the right buyer came along, and he did.
>Guilty as charged :)

I sold mine for $120.  I've not seen one go for more than that since.  Is there
something special about your C8101s?  I don't know my Altair stuff that well..
I thought they all had those chips.

I have been thinking about selling my Godbout G8008, as well as the 16 white
ceramic P1101s I have - I think those are pretty collectible now.

>> It's too bad the various collecting communities can't have the
>> disarmament equivalent of SALT talks and maybe agree to not keep feeding the
>> beast.
>> Although I suppose on the upside, the high values mean stuff that
>> might otherwise get discarded survives.
>>

>I think I've come up with a nice way to get that accomplished through good old
>market dynamics (i.e. voluntarily) with a subtle twist.

I'm all ears!

Brad