[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Davidsen)
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] told us:
>
> >> Most OS seem to use no-emulation boot these days.
> >>

> >> In this case it does not work to look for a floppy image.
>
> >  So where is this new standard to be found? The ElTorito standard says
> >1.2, 1.44 or 2.88MB floppy image, if there is no floppy image, I assume
> >there is a standard for something else, since the BIOS has to implement
> >it and every system can't reasonably be using it's own standard.
>
> I never saw a Eltorito standard that was limited to floppy images!

It may not be the standard, but the mkisofs man page states:

       -b eltorito_boot_image
              Specifies  the  path and filename of the boot image
              to be used when making an "El Torito" bootable  CD.
              The  pathname  must  be relative to the source path
              specified to mkisofs.  This option is  required  to
              make  an  "El  Torito" bootable CD.  The boot image
              must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44,  or
              a  2.88  meg floppy, and mkisofs will use this size
              when creating the output iso9660 filesystem. It  is
              assumed  that  the  first 512 byte sector should be
              read from the boot image (it is essentially emulat­
              ing  a  normal  floppy drive).  This will work, for
              example, if the boot image is  a  LILO  based  boot
              floppy.

Is this simply a restriction of mkisofs?