> I'm in complete sympathy. In my day, whether you won or lost, merely
> standing up and engaging in a fight earned you respect and, as often as
> not, a friend. We didn't have to worry about guns, or even knives, for
> that matter. You might get beat up, but not beaten to a pulp. We live in
> a changed landscape. As a thought, were people happier a few decades
> ago? Or was life just simpler? Or is it that people now tend to demand
> respect, rather than trying to earn it? I wonder.

I don't know if we really live in a "meaner" world. Shoot, I was reading a
book a few months ago about the middle/dark ages and life was pretty cruel
back then. I also don't think the gladiator events in Roman times were
indicative of "simpler" times either.

I guess it's all in how you look at things. If I had to guess, I'd say that
as a species we are no more violent then we ever were. Given the fact that
the average lifespan has gone up steadily, though, I think we are at an
advantage.

Ray Camden