begin rant

1. What is the plan for Iraq? We're there now, what next? I just want to hear what these two jokers (Kerry and Bush) have to say on the subject. Kerry is all over the map on what he would do and Bush has only spoken in very general terms about "getting the job done".

2. How do we address the issue that so much of the world dislikes us at the moment? If the answer is, "If they are against us f*** 'em", I at least want to hear that. I don't think the Bush team has planned a strategy for winning back hearts and minds, and they need to. Kerry's plan, as far as I can tell, basically says, "Elect me and the rest of the world will be so relieved not to be dealing with Bush that they will be our big buddies again." That's a plan? More like a prayer. Don't we still have career diplomats in this country to explain things to these clowns (Bush and Kerry)?

3. What is the truth about Social Security and Medicare over the next 30 years? Alan Greenspan has already warned that the U.S. absolutely will not be able to pay for these programs once the Boomers retire. This is the single biggest long term financial problem on the entire planet and no one in Washington will discuss it.

4. How does the U.S. help resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? Our support for Israel is costing us politically around the world, but it is morally the right thing for us to do and we must stay the course. I support the barrier, I support withdrawal from Gaza and disengagement from the Palestinians until they come to their senses. I also support a sovereign state for Palestinians, but only if they can demonstrate that they can run a government that can maintain peace and security in its own territory and not be a sponsor for terrorist activity against neighbooring states. In this respect, although I'm no fan of Bill Clinton, I thought he put forward a decent plan that was fair to both sides and Yasser Arafat screwed him right at the end of the deal. I want to hear what Kerry in particular has to say about the current situation because it links very directly back to #2. Kerry seems to think he will be better at making friends, so he needs to show how he will make things better for Israelis and Palestinians.

As an aside, you've got to pity the average Palestinian, who is being used as a tool by the Arabs, the Iranians, and everyone else who wants to deflect anger away from their own corrupt, derelict regimes. And now the Palestinians have given up hope to the point where they are under the sway of fascists who drape themselves in the flag of Islam and tell their children to blow themselves up among Israeli civilians. It's just plain horrible all around. However, lots of European and Muslim nations whine about how the Palestinians are being persecuted and the Israelis are the jailers, blah blah blah, and that's just old school anti-Semitism wearing a new hat.

5. What about rascism and hate of "the other" in general inside the U.S.? It is alive and well in many forms and we need to address it head-on. This is a never-ending struggle against ignorance and tyranny.

6. How do we deal with the immigration issue with Mexico? For those of you not living near the border, this is a huge issue in the Southwest U.S., but I personally think we've got it all backwards. Bush had it right at the beginning of his presidency. We should be working toward and open border with Mexico. This is a very long term project, but think of it this way: Mexico has lots of young people who need work. We will soon lack the numbers in the workforce to support our retirees. Seems like a pefect match to me; however, there are a few stumbling blocks. Mexico needs to become less corrupt and less controlled by drug cartels, and it needs to reform its legal system and make it safer for Americans in Mexico. Not that it is unsafe overall, but there are some reall horror stories of things that have happened to people on the other side of the border. That has to stop- on both sides.

7. What about outsourcing? Kerry's plan is cheap-shot protectionism and it will not work any better than it did in the 70's. Long term, outsourcing is good at the macro level. It makes the world economy bigger and creates markets overseas. But in the short term the painful dislocation for many people in the workforce needs to be dealt with. I speak as someone whose job is just as likely to be outsourced as anyone's, because IT in mid-sized companies is at risk.

8. Can we just please stop fighting this "war on drugs", and focus on the war on terrorism? We need to decriminalize possession of small amounts of some drugs and treat it as a medical issue, not a criminal issue. We have hundreds of thousands of people in jail today who are non-violent drug offenders. Europe has mostly decriminalized the possession of marijuana (and I distinguish de-criminalize from legalize) and it seems to be working fine. It isn't going to turn millions of people into reefer-heads. I believe Canada is similar to Europe, or maybe just parts of Canada, but they seem to be fine, too.

9. Can we move on past the gay marriage debate, this is such a dumb issue. Overall polls find 75% of the country against gay marriage, but among younger people the opinion is 50-50 and moving steadily toward acceptance among younger generations. Would Bush or Kerry like to talk about the future or just parrot what the polls tell them about the present?

10. Why is it that we have, as our nominees for President, two men who:

a. Went to Yale
b. Were in Skull and Bones
c. Are multi-millionaires

I'd like to see either of them touch that with a ten foot pole. Won't happen.

end rant

rob