Funny you ask that question. No, I do not think religion promotes hate. I do
think it (primarily) promotes intolerance.

And, no, I don't think you can prove everything. But if you tell me that a
God/InsertNameHere tells me what to do or not do, well, then I want some
proof. No, I will never really be able to scientifically test whether my
wife loves me (my first didn't). There are many things that can be tested,
far more than people WISH to test. It is far easier, in my opinion, to just
go along. We, as a species, have often taken that route. The flock metaphor
is more than apt. Using the excuse of "other icky hard to define things" is
a cop out. Maybe a little more hard questioning of those "icky..." is in
order. And, as you say, some will never have answers.

Granted, millions may do good, though I think many people talk more than
their actions show. But how can you measure what their intolerance has done
to harm people by their tacit complicity with policies of the church, or in
our case, government? Let's face it, our government was built on those
intolerances and only the Constitution, which is being slowly subverted, is
protecting us today. The influence of the an outspoken minority carries far
more when than a silent majority. Who is to say what it will be like in 10
or 20 years?

Organized religion has been used over and over to inflict horrendous pain on
the world. How many suffered in the Inquisition? Under repressive Islamic
extremist regimes? Many of these use religion to lend authority and validity
to what they do.

You are right in a sense, it is the interpretation of the religion. So,
would it be better to not have any, so no interpretation needed? Would we
all just be nice to each other? Would that work?

-Gary