I think that unstructured time may be the best thing you can give a
kid. I remember swinging on a swing and picking Queen Anne's Lace with
my mother when we liked on a farm in Bolton (which sooo does not have
farms anymore). I would have been three or four. At five or six we
were in Edmonton and I spent long days seeing if my paymaytes likes
butter with dandelions from the neighbors yard. I have liked lilacs
ever since; they had one.

One of my kids' favorite memories is the time in West Virginia when we
went out to see that cloud *there* and actually drove through it. A
close second is the day from the same period when we went way down
this dirt road to the local lake and threw rocks. On the way back I
let them sit in the car windows and pick bouquets of autum leaves from
the branches that hung down. The road was muddy and I ofen had to
spinmy wheels once I stopped. They got covered in mud and thought it
was hysterical. They would have been six and eight.

Dana