First - congrats! Awesome!

Then to add to Weeg's list:

Obviously these all depend on the money you have to spend :)

1. DEFINITELY make the deck as large as possible. You will kick yourself
later if it's not the biggest you can make it. You want to comfortably
fit at least a dozen people, plus tables, chairs & a BBQ. AND - if
possible - you want stairs going down into the yard.

2. Get privacy fencing put up ASAP. Maybe the builder can offer you a
deal? Fencing helps sell a house down the road and you'll love it if you
ever want a dog. If you do have a fence put up - put a gate in the back
and one on each side of the house. Make sure the latches for the gate
can have a lock put on them.

3. Tony mentioned water taps outside - definitely front and back, and
make sure they make sense where they are. If you can get one run to the
back of your property too - you might find it a blessing when you start
tinkering around the yard and want to landscape it - depending of course
how large your yard is.

4. If you ever think of putting a pool in the yard - tell the builder
now. In case there's anything underground in the back that can be
located more sensibly.

5. I'll repeat the wires thing: run them yourself or dictate where an
how they are to be run. Run network outlets in as many places as you
can. Even the bathroom. You never know.

6. If you can get a deal from the builder on granite - that is the
better option than Corian.

7. If there is a loft or attic and you can walk in it - get the builder
to lay down plywood everywhere.

8. If the builder is finishing the basement, or if he is not, get a
third set of plumbing run down there in case you want to add a third
bath in the future. GREAT resale value.

9. If the basement is a daylight basement - make sure the room that has
the doors is large enough to be a party room. Try and get sliding glass
doors. They let in lots of lovely light into a basement.

10. If you are getting a fireplace - see if they can put in built in
shelves on either side. We have that and they are fabulous.

11. Don't be stingy on the fireplace mantel.

12. Echoing Brian's comment - stay involved in the process as much as
possible. If you can afford it - and they let you - buy the workers a
pizza lunch every once in a while. Treat them like a big group of casual
friends. Be nice and courteous and genuinely interested in how your
house is going up and what the process is. Builders love to brag about
their work. Then when it comes to little things - they are more likely
to be in your favor. Never stomp around the building site angry or
miffed or like a spoiled child - saying things like "It's my house and I
want it the way I want it". You won't get any favors that way.

13. If the option is available and you like that sort of thing - scope
out a spot for a wet bar and have them run plumbing. You can do
everything else yourself - but running the plumbing now is a bonus. Even
if you never use it - the resale will be great for it. More and more
people are putting in home bars and entertainment rooms than ever
before.

14. Electric/Phone/Network outlets on every possible wall. If you plan
on having something up high that needs an electrical outlet - you might
want one located high in an inconspicuous spot.

15. Braces for ceiling fans in every room. They are a hot hot hot item
when it comes to resale. That and they make cooling and heating the
house a lot easier.

16. DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOWS. What you will save on heating and cooling
will pay for them and then some. Do NOT scrimp on the windows.

17. Install a security system wired into EVERY WINDOW and EVERY DOOR on
EVERY FLOOR. It is easy for them to do this now and will be a VERY
AWESOME resale point. They did it in the house we are in now and it's
LOVELY to have such a great security system.

18. Since you are getting the bumps - will there be room in the kitchen
for a U-shaped counter or an island? If so GET ONE. You will be thankful
for it down the road. Everyone thinks they don't need counter space
until they are cooking a big meal and run out of room. From the picture
you gave us - that kitchen layout doesn't have enough counter space AT
ALL.

19. Any chance of them running a bigger stoop slab across the front of
the house? If it looks good? You might want it to be a place to relax
and sit.

20. Any chance of them putting the kitchen sink on the outside wall so
you have a window to look out when doing dishes? You'll prefer this to
looking at a wall. If they put in a built-in microwave - get them to
vent the microwave outside instead of inside. Same with the stove-top
vent. Why people vent them in is beyond me. Run the vents outside. It is
dead easy for them to do this.

And there - I've run out of ideas for now. But I may come up with some
more! :D

Cheers,
Erika