-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 2:50 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Where to move?

I have some comments and additions to Scott's comments about the Raleigh
area...

On 7/23/07, Scott Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Positive:
>
> Traffic isn't nearly as bad as DC Metro

>>Understatement alert!

And Virginia just finished the mixing bowl project (grumble)

> In our area veterinarians are everywhere

hahaha... NC State has one of the top vet schools in the country I hear.

More positives to add:

- less than 3 hours - and a STRAIGHT shot down I-40 - to some really
nice beaches
- less than 3 hours to the nearest mountainous state parks (Hanging
Rock State Park)
- tons and tons of great golf courses, and Pinehurst is only an hour south.
- closer to Disney World than DC :)

Uhmmmm... Atlanta's six hours away, how can Orlando only be four and a half?

> Negatives:
>
> The ColdFusion market isn't nearly as strong as DC Metro.

Truth!  There are more Coldfusion jobs in Charlotte, I think.  But
they don't have an NHL franchise ;)

> Lots of fundies

Is "fundies" a term for startups?  Probably true =)

>> lot's o' bible bangers, y'know the folks that spend too much time trying
to convince themselves of their own piety.

> Pro football is 3 hours away

Yes, but pro-hockey is here, the Durham Bulls are awesome and VERY
affordable, and the college atmosphere is truly incredible.

>>Already been to a 'Caines game... caines fans are downright nice, compared
>>to say...Philly (I'm a die hard caps/redskins fan)

> Parking in downtown Raleigh kinda sucks

Solution:  don't work downtown ;)  Most of the jobs in this area
aren't "downtown" anyway... they're scattered all over, and often in
the Research Triangle Park...

>>Yeah but the Flying Saucer is downtown.... and I telecommute

> Closest zoo is three and a half hours west

>What?  The North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro is barely over an hour from
my house, and I only live 15 minutes from Raleigh.

>>Didn't know it was that close

> Roads north of Wake county suck

It does suck to have to drive 50 miles east before heading north when
you want to go to Washington DC, doesn't it?

>>Ehhh... We're gonna be on the North East side, we can go up 64 to 95...
>>when 85 get's into North Carolina it's a bombed out concrete nightmare
>>until you hit Wake County. You can also take Capitol Boulevard to 95
>>somewhere south of Richmond

Of course, if you're in Durham or Chapel Hill, you just hop on I-85 North.