I see that as the view of people who are emotionally invested in opposing
the President; it is a view that is simply not supported by the facts. The
war in Iraq was not pre-determined. Saddam could have come clean and
cooperated with the UN Security Council, but he thought he could bluff his
way out of the mess. Ironically, his outstandingly successful bluff about
having WMD was what sealed his fate.

The issue of 9/11 and the Iraq War is not causality, it is the deeply
paranoid mindset that the attacks created inside the U.S. government. In one
day, we went from thinking about issues like Iraq, Afghanistan, the USS Cole
bombing, etc.  in regional terms to thinking about them in terms of how
events "over there" could trigger further attacks on our shores. 9/11, as G
indicted for himself, put most of the country in a mood to stomp the guts
out of our enemies. The US was this wounded giant, casting around for any
enemy to stomp. Saddam, already an enemy of the US, made the terrible
miscalculation of poking the wounded giant in the eye, and he got stomped
for it.