I know the economy is the next knee-jerker, but I was actually still
on the freedom bit.  :-)

Losing our liberties (no-knock, warrant-less searches, domestic
spying, due process wankery) and our morals (torture is o.k. if our
lawyers say so, a "strike first" military, trading individual freedoms
for a perceived group safety, etc.).

Can't take a damn plane without an anal search, building a "wall" to
keep immigrants out, etc..

"if you don't do X, the ter'rists 'il git ya", etc..

That's the scary stuff to me.  Money is important and all, but not
that important.  :-)

I agree about China.  Heh.

It is sad to see folks who'd usually stay in the states for a bit,
high-tail it to other countries, just cuz of the weak $.

Not that it isn't a pain in the ass just to get into the country these
days.  The red tape probably makes us safer too, in someones mind.

-den

--
"What we fear comes to pass more speedily than what we hope."
---- Publilius Syrus - Moral Sayings (1st C B.C.)