On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Robert Munn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Domestic spying" is a red herring, the rules are very clear and one party
>  has to be outside the U.S.

The rules are clear.  That they have been broken is freaking public record.

Things like the BASKETBALL program are also clear. (this crap has been
going on since way back-- there's congressional records, maybe I'll
dig them up).

But, come on!  People were actually pissed at the media for
"revealing" this treasonable act.  "yer help'n the terrists by not
like'n be'n spied on by yer own government"

Are you saying that you believe that the only records that the telcos
turned over were for people with overseas calls?

That's been proven to be false.  It's also been proven that many
people got this data for nothing more than asking for it.  The records
of who got what are "incomplete", and whatnot.... come on.  That's
some haineous shit.

>  Warrantless searches needs judicial review, agreed.

Yay!

>  Torture is illegal, the definition of torture is a problem. President McCain
>  will make sure there is no gray area on torture.

See, I don't think that waterboarding, for instance, suffers from definition.

The bags on the heads and naked bodies and whatnot-- it wasn't all
those lowly soldiers just doing it for kicks, I don't think.

It seems to me that it was encouraged from on high.  Which is horrifying.

Don't give me the "I'll know it when I see it" idea about torture.
You just don't mess around with that.

War is hell.  We are shining beacons of humanity, or whatever.  At
least we tried to be.  Now we're like "lets ask the lawyers".  Bah!

Mere husks of our former selves.

>  The airline thing bugs me, especially this issue that you can have your
>  computer seized and have everything copied if you go across international
>  borders. What if I have confidential client data on my system and it gets
>  out into the open because some TSA employee leaks it, or worse sells it for
>  money? Not right, not right at all.

There's all kinds of crazy with the TSA and whatnot.  And for like 0
return on safety.

You could still be a nutter sitting at the end of a runway with a
fsck'n stinger.

How the fuck will taking away my possessions, invading my privacy,
making me be bummed about flying now (I used to love it) and whatnot
stop that?

>  Our immigration policy is retarded. Bush tried for reform but got shut down
>  by his own party.  President McCain will make immigration reform a key
>  component of his first administration.

It got really crazy after the attacks on that dark September (no, not
the one with AOL ;).

The Spaniards I spoke of earlier have a dickens of a time these days.
Horrible, red-tape-for-the-sake-of-red-tape type crap, that would be
easy for a terrorist to thwart, but makes life X times harder for
"normal" people.

>  Strike first military? We were at war with Iraq already, for almost 15
>  years. The Taliban was harboring Al Qaeda, who killed 3,000+ people and
>  destroyed a major portion of downtown Manhattan and a chunk of the Pentagon.
>  Exactly who did we strike first?

The preemptive strike stuff that Walker pushed.

Look, I know there's crap that happens, that isn't "good"-- "24" type
stuff, I can live with (that's why there's presidential pardons).

But ensconcing this crap in law, and making it a policy... that's what
gets me riled up.

Seeing the politicians on TV, talking about pork projects, and how
"that's how the system works" pisses me off.

Bribery, eh?  That's how we do it now?

Doesn't the way we've become just sorta sadden and anger you?  Not so
much that crap happens, but that we're saying it's o.k..  Trying to
make it be part of what being American means (puke).

-den

--
That's the horrible part-- the complacency, if not outright support.