On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Mary Jo Sminkey <mary...@cfwebstore.com>wrote:

> Well, that's not entirely true...we are pretty much told in the New
> Testament to go out and proclaim the Good News. It's not something you are
> supposed to be silent about, although certainly a lot of us that *are*
> Christian are often more comfortable with that, and as you say, letting our
> actions do the speaking.

We're told to do a LOT of things in the new testament. I'm weary of people
who take the Bible as a literal script for living their daily lives.
Incidentally, have you read the book "A year of living biblically"??

> I personally am not particularly vocal or open about my faith in general,
> but it's something I try to be aware of and not *actively* try to hide. As
> my pastor would put it....if you had found something that brought you great
> joy and happiness in your life, wouldn't you naturally *want* to tell
> everyone about it?

Yes, but everyone else doesn't really want to hear about it.

> But to say we shouldn't try to convince people to believe what we
> believe....well, that would be like saying you shouldn't try to convince
> people to agree and vote with your political party/position.

I don't try to convince people to vote my political party....so yes, it is
similar to that.

> And in a similar way, there are a people I enjoy discussing politics
> with...and others that can be pretty offensive in their approach when you
> are not in agreement with them.

Indeed. Same is probably true with religion. Religion, like politics, is a
discussion that usually goes like this: "Here is what I believe. Here is why
I believe it. You should believe it too."

It's that last part that complicates things.

--
Once in awhile you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right