I honestly rarely use the web client, but Google, at least doesn't seem to
wholly approve of the way the iPhone works.  From the instructions on
setting up the iPhone:

"Note: If you're running software update 1.1.3 or later, tapping the 'Gmail'
icon will automatically configure IMAP. However, archiving and deleting
messages will work differently. If you want your Gmail IMAP actions to
operate as designed, please continue on to the next step."

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702

That "next step" results in the iPhone acting exactly like Outlook or
Windows Mobile.

In any case it does seem like we're all "right" - nearly all IMAP clients
will simply remove a message label (leaving it in the "All Mail" folder)
when you "delete" (this is Google's design, not the client's) while the
iPhone will move it to the trash folder.

This does seem to be a case where Google themselves haven't really seemed to
have made up their minds yet.

Jim Davis