Ok. Cool. I can see your point from that perspective very well. Thanks for
'splaining your take on it :)

For further consideration:

And this is a psychological theory of mine. Kind of like "how people think
when seeing search results"... completely an opinion I have, nothing more.

This also likely falls under the "goals of the site" of course.

By putting it on a separate domain, you can improve "ownership" of primary
keyword searches because say you have several  blog posts, plus some good
content on the main site and they all show up as listings when searching for
"blue bicolor widget".

In my surfing experience and watching others, a lot of people do not settle
for just one result alone. They'll click on quite a few, picking different
domains to get a feel for different takes on what they searched for.

If the blog is hanging off the TLD, in most "surfer's eyes" it looks like
the same site, especially if the same page title or descriptions are
used.... whereas if it was a separate TLD, even if it had a common name,
they'd still see it in their mind as a separate entry ... thus giving the
sites the opportunity for more exposure.

Yeah, this isn't completely common behavior, but worth considering.
Especially for those building a network of sites around the same subject.