"If you are talking about affirmative action in college admissions, I think
your example doesn't really apply."

College is just an example.

And it does apply, at least in my opion.

"Really intelligent poor white kids tend to get into good colleges as well.
I got into a top private college in spite of being poor and white."

Sure.  And a lot don't.  A lot end up going to jail since they can't stand
the tedium of blue collar work and crime seems an easy way out.  I know
quite a few.

And, what about the intelligent poor white kid versus the really intelligent
white kid?  Or the average white kid?  Or the dumb white kid?

Economics give a clear cut boundary.  It removes bias.

-

“I never thought this day would happen. . . . I won’t have to work on
putting gas in my car. I won’t have to work at paying my mortgage. You know.
If I help him, he’s gonna help me.”  - Peggy Jos