To be fair, I think 'discriminatory' might be a better word. To me,
'racist' would infer some sort of hatred or dislike of one person or
group because of their race. Clearly, in your example, there is no
hatred or dislike (at least that I can see).

However, in your example, if it is wrong to NOT chose the minority
candidate because they are a minority, it is equally wrong, regardless
of the rationale, to NOT choose the white candidate because they are
NOT a minority.